The Lesbian Lion

Project #6 Completed!

First off, I love this fabric! It was easy to work with, as well as pretty/fun. (..or so I think!)

I decided to photograph this with a simple white tank top, because that was the vision I had when I saw the completed skirt.

So my goal of having a good zipper, ehhh.. well... It was better than my first one.. but there was an issue with cutting, so it's not perfect.

Anyway, I spent so little on this skirt, it's ridiculous. I ordered this fabric just because it was discount, and I thought it could be interesting. Let's just say, the zipper was more expensive than the fabric. Total spent: $2.75. Awesome!

As for time spent on this garment.. Eh, it was hard to clock. I would say.. with pinning, sewing, measuring, and all that went into it.. I'd say roughly 3-4 hours. Hmm.. Maybe I could sell this simple skirt for $20.. That's about $5/hour.. Haha. Nice!

So how did I create this? Well, I always start my measuring out pieces that will cover the front, and cover the back. I pin these pieces on the mannequin backwards.. Then pin then tightly together, and sew up the seams, creating a full general shape. I made these pieces oversized, because I was trying to make a folds in the skirt. That didn't end up exactly as I wanted it.. I suppose it needed to be even more oversized for it to be very noticeable. I then sewed the top to try to keep these folds.. and tried to iron them to help them out. For the top portion (that's darker in color), I took the opposite side of the fabric (because, remember, I didn't know which side I wanted to use.. So I used both!) ..cleaned it up, and sewed it on the top, creating a higher waist. I decided to add a zipper in the back for a good fit, so I had to sew that in.. by cutting a slit down the middle of the back and tucking the excess fabric in and trying to cover the zipper, then sewing them together. Finally, since it is a bubble skirt, I hemmed up the bottom, but it didn't create a puff as much as I wanted.. I have ideas about how I want to do that next.. so a bubble skirt will definitely be coming up again before the year is over!

And.. that's about it. A simple skirt, and Project 6 is over! I realize this is early, but hey.. nothing wrong with early! The next project I'm thinking of may be crazy.. but we'll see what I end up deciding to do!