The Lesbian Lion

Guest Post - I'm With Leia

Hello my darlings, I hope your Mondays are off to a good start. Today we have our first guest post from the lovely Heidi at I'm With Leia, which I am excited to share with you. Heidi leads a great home made life and is a big knitter, I may need to set up some Skype time for knitting tips. Ooh a Skype Knitting Circle, I like that idea! Over to Heidi...

Hi and greetings from Copenhagen, I'm Heidi from I'm With Leia .
We are crazy about knitting here in Scandinavia so I'm so happy that Amber wanted me to write a little bit about the knitting trends here right now; Scandinavian modern faire isle and simple knitting.

Scandinavian modern faire isle

Image from Gudrun & Gudrun

Let's start up with something I guess most people has noticed: the famous The Killing jumper, you know the one that the female detective runs around in the Danish hit Tv show. Actually this jumper is made by the Faroese design duo Gudrun & Gudrun. This jumper is a perfect example of the current trend that takes elements from classic old design and make it work in modern life. You can also see the same thing in Norwegian knitting:

This Norwegian/Swedish couple Arne and Carlos, has really made knitting super trendy here in Scandinavia. They started of mixing in traditional patterns in a modern style (don't you just love the traditional faire isle with space invaders?). But it was with their knitted Christmas balls this really took off. It's taking elements of traditional patterns and making them into unbreakable ornaments. My mum knits them all the time. By the way the recipes is available in 8 countries - and yes even the UK and the US. (Christmas balls picture from Yarn Jungle

And other trend is so called easy knitting. It's basically taking simple knit patterns where the usefulness is more important than showing off multicolored patterns. I'm very much into this as you can see on my Left-over blanket. Danish design company Ferm Living has many good examples of using basic knit in their design.

Photo from Ferm Living

Before I sum up here is an example of simple useful and reusable knit by Strikk & tøys. She has made dish cloths and reusable cotton pads for sale in her Epla shop - very elegant don't you think?

Personally I love the trend at the moment, so fun to see so much knitting both in interior like Norwegian Fargeriket's knitted wallpaper and on new inspirational knitting pattern website such as Pickles. Can't wait to see what more people come up with, perhaps more yarn bombing or other clever ways of using knit.
If you would like to see some of my things you can go to my blog or check out I'm with Leia on Ravelry.

Thank you Amber for letting me ramble on about knit, you know I can go on for more don't you?

Hehe thank you so much Heidi, if I start now I may have something to show and share come Christmas time, knitting on the beach, sounds good to me!

See you all soon. ax
-- ......................