The Lesbian Lion

San Sebastian Festival

I though I would share with you all what the lovely residents of Palma de Mallorca get up to in the middle of January. Yes, we take to the streets from toddlers to grandparents with all in between including the odd dog. To chase devils with fireworks, cook meats on the public bbq's and dance in the streets to live bands until after well after 2 in the morning. All in the name of Saint Sebastian the patron saint of Palma.

So who is San Sebastian I hear you cry? Well I found out for you as well as me. He was a Roman Officer who was killed for protecting Christians from persecution and died for his trouble in 288AD.

Painted by Sodoma in 1525 and currently in the Palazzo Pitti.

As a saint and martyr Sebastian's bones were brought to the city in 1524 and miraculously brought a year of plague to an end. He was named the patron saint of Palma on the 20th January and we celebrate this on the eve of San Sebastian. Why we have giants and devils I have no idea, but they do come out for all festivals.

Its a wonderful way to ward off the blues in January and a great time is had by all. The husband and I were tucked up in bed with a nice cup of tea and our books by midnight with our trusty earplugs as the city partied on.

If you ever manage to get to visit the wonderful island you don't have to come in the summer to sample the fun of island life, we fiesta all year long.

I hope your all having a wonderful day and I will see you all again on Friday.