The Lesbian Lion

Project #24: Pattern Cropped Flowy Dress

I think it's time to make my blog a little bit more insightful. Perhaps, so you can understand where I'm coming from with my designs and what I'm trying to do with them.

This design (my first in Philadelphia!) was really inspired by the fabric. So far, I've only been to a nearby fabric store, which I love! It has a bunch of fabrics, many types, many patterns, etc, and the prices are really reasonable. If I had more time (I didn't have quarters for the meter so I was trying to beat a cop to my car), I could have easily spent an hour just looking through and finding different patterns, ideas, and designs. I went into the store with five different designs on my phone that I drew, and I ended up leaving having fulfilled maybe a half of one.. I was more intrigued by the patterns.

I stumbled upon an interesting green polka dot one, and as I sat down looking at it, and designing, I knew I wanted to have everything line up. I wanted the patterns to be followed through in some way, as it was sewn together.

An example of what I'm talking about is from Alexander McQueen, who does this often :

I mean, mine would be nothing like this, but you get the idea.. Of how the fabric is cut in a particular way so that it is symmetrical and sewn in the right places.

So, that's what I'm trying to do with this design :

Not only that, but I'm trying to make it flowy (finally). How many past designs were supposed to be that way, and it didn't work out? So, I'm determined this time, and I know I have enough fabric!

So, I'm going to get back to work, and finish this one up. Should be posted later today!