The Lesbian Lion

#NYFW - February 9th Review

Hi everyone! I've finally updated? WEIRD! I figure this would be good practice for me, and it keeps me on top of NYFW as it happens.

Here is my list of the three shows that I feel you NEED to see from yesterday!:

BCBG Max Azria:

I remember a time when I listed Max Azria as one of the worst shows at a NYFW, but this time, I LOVED what he was doing with BCBG. I'm a sucker for color blocking, especially when it is done well. He had a gorgeous palate, very reminiscent of fall; earthy. I also liked his use of sheer fabric with interesting pleats and striping. There were a lot of frocks, which are a little unflattering if you're not super skinny (I like structure), but I appreciate the ease and flow of these garments. He did mix in some furs and leather (big trends so far). Overall, I think he was my favorite of the day!

Creatures of the Wind:

Now, I don't think everyone should wear these garments, but I don't think that's what a fashion show is about! It's about setting a mode, trends, and making a statement. That's why I appreciate Creature of the Wind's show! To me, their show was a great display of mixing. Don't be afraid to mix anything! They had an interesting use of materials together; slick leathers with cozy knits and shiny satins with matte wools. And it didn't look bad! I also love a good mix of prints, and I thought they had an intriguing mix of geometrics; stripes with checkers, triangles with squares. Just check it out! It definitely has inspiring qualities!

Nicholas K:

Nicholas K has quite an interesting show. There was a lot of fur and leather, as well as fringe everywhere! I got a definite dark cowboy vibe - going from a dark muted palate, to a more earthy tone. I loved the hats! I love the interesting closures and the way he made the leather work for him in some of the more structured looks. I loved the womenswear, but I appreciated the menswear a bit less. I felt everything was so bulky and long. Everything looked warm, though? F/W! Regardless, this show is worth a look and get in touch with the earth again!

Notes on Honorable Mentions:

M.Patmos – Interesting things going on here.

Kelly Wearstler – Cool mixes, nice textiles, commercial, denim leather knits fur, coats pants dresses skirts, color.

Can't wait for today! Review up tomorrow morning!

[ALL IMAGES COURTESY OF STYLE.COM]