The Lesbian Lion

Project #31 Completed!

Well, that was quick! It came out, mostly, how I expected it to.

The general dress that I created was quite simple. I just did my normal draping and proper fitting with seams in the right places. I think the top seams always give it a nice finished look.

The thing that took a while was the little flowers. I think they definitely add something to the dress.. They may be too much, but I still think the little 3D attached flower belt adds dimension to this otherwise simple design.

A NOTE ON HAND SEWING:

How I created the flowers was to first cut out 15x15cm blocks of fabric with pinking shears (I like the raw edge it creates). Then, I sort of twisted the middle to create a sort of rose inner-shape. I then folded the fabric in four places along the edge of the flower.. created sort of petals. It's hard to explain, but that's the general gist.

But, I really enjoyed hand sewing, actually. I don't do it enough. It's very relaxing!

You can create anything out of fabric, with the right ideas, and a little time to think it through. Those these probably aren't the best looking "flowers," I've seen, I think they still get the job done. Don't let the machine do all of the work.. Think things through, and you can hand sew anything onto a garment to create something more out of it!

I only put the flowers along the front, and one in the back because I thought having the whole entire dress surrounded with flowers would be too bulky and less appealing. I may even take a couple more off.. We'll see!

Project #31 Stats:
Supplies to make this dress : Yellow scribbled cotton fabric, white cotton blend fabric, pale yellow thread
Total Cost to make this dress : ~$4.50
Total Time to make this dress : ~5 hours

Anyway, my sister enjoys it from the pictures, so we'll definitely be having a fitting, and we'll take it from there if she'll actually wear it.

Overall, I think it's fun, sweet, and pretty!

More importantly, what do YOU think?