The Lesbian Lion

Project #6: Flower Print Bubble Skirt

Now, this challenge was to have the fabric in front of me, and design something just by looking at it. The fabric is a little out of control, but I kind of love it. There is one problem though; I'm not sure which side of the fabric is the right side to use. I'm thinking any size could be used.. one is a little more drastic, and I was thinking about going with that as the main part of the skirt, and using the other side for other trimming parts. (Sorry for the horrendous drawing.. It was rough, but I didn't feel like redrawing.)

The materials I'm using for this one is:
- Navy and Periwinkle Brocade Floral Fabric
- A zipper

I'd like to create a nice invisible zipper with this one.

So, I'm trying to change up the way my blog rolls, so:

1) What I plan on doing when I show the completed designs, is to say how much was spent making it. It will be a nice way to track how much I've spent throughout the year creating. It will include everything but the thread, because.. I really don't have to buy that all that often.

I've done this for the past garments as well:
Project 1 - $14.50
Project 2 - $4.75
Project 3 - $4.00
Project 4 - $9.00
Project 5 - $7.75

Yeah.. so maybe I'm going to be spending a lot of money on these projects.. But, hey.. It's worth it. I mean, it's not too much (..besides Project 1 which pains me to see because it was so poorly executed and I feel like a bit of a waste). Maybe if I get good enough, I can sell them? I can dream!

2) I'd like to track the amount of time that goes into creating some of these things. I don't have accurate hours of the past projects, but I'd like the start that with this one, but logging my times. Knowing the amount of hours I've put in will allow me to take in all the amount of work I've put in.

[For a fun side thing, I can give price tags to items, so by knowing both the amount I've spent on fabric and the hours I've put in, it'll be fun.]

3) I'd like to actually talk about how I went about creating the design. I think it will add more of an understanding as well as a helpful element. It can show you what I go through to create things (and how I do it probably isn't the right/easiest way, but I like the idea of basically teaching myself!) And can give people ideas to tackle things themselves (if any readers become interested in trying projects themselves).

Anyway, sewing starts tomorrow!