The Lesbian Lion

Tropical Elegance

Tropical Elegance. There's nothing like a breezy blouse in the perfect summery shades to get you in the mood for going out! I wore this fluttery outfit to a grad party last week and to be honest it really convinced me to go. I wasn't sure I'd be very welcome since I haven't seen (or really spoken to) any of my high school friends for over a year. Since I graduated a year early I've felt a little out of place with the people I used to know--which is too bad. Anyhow, I threw on this beautiful blouse and instantly felt rejuvenated and ready to go since it's just too pretty to deny the chance of seeing daylight!

I struggled with the decision between my fuchsia wedges and nude pumps, ultimately deciding on the nude pumps as you can see here! The wedges made it a little more casual but I just loved the instant elegance the pumps and gold accessories made added to this outfit. The cutouts in the sleeves give the top such a touch of glamour and I thought I should keep that same luxe feel in the rest of the outfit.

The picture taking for this look was especially interesting... It's the first time we've ever shot in the late afternoon and it just so happens that's when everybody decides to be out and about! For some reason, the landscapers decided that the prettiest trees were to be placed in the median instead of near the sidewalk, creating an unforeseen problem for moi! I had to jump out of the street between shots about every 7 seconds! It was definitely worth it though, the lighting was spectacular. It cast a nice, soft glow in all of the shots and the trees framed this wild print beautifully--truly showing off this elegant & colorful summer outfit wonderfully!

Styling Tips for Making Wild Prints Elegant:

This can be a challenging task because we don't usually associate crazy prints with elegance--but that doesn't mean it can't be done! To create your playful & classy ensemble first start with the print and build off of that (it's a lot less complicated this way!) Next choose luxe accessories like the modern & sleek finishes of the jewelry shown in my outfit, this will allow the print to be the main focus of attention while adding a layer of interest. Finally, finish it off with neutrals and a great shoe! Don't overload the look with another print or a bright color, choose something of the white, black, gray, or beige variety for your neutral--again, this allows the print to be the main feature while still adding some depth to the look. As for the great shoe mentioned above, keep it simple, keep it neutral. As you can see I chose a nude pump, this adds sophistication and elongates the legs--which is always a winning combination in my book!

Blouse: Jennifer Lopez
Shorts: H&M
Shoes: Steve Madden
Necklace: Forever 21
Watch: Shoe Dazzle