The Lesbian Lion

Project #7 Completed!

Once again, I fell in love with this fabric. I've never been one to appreciate floral pattern fabric, but I'm incredibly in love with this.. It's so pretty! This has been my favorite project, by far. I became obsessed with it, so I finished it earlier this week, but I decided to hold out on posting it.

I'm really annoyed with the pictures.. Definitely need to invest in a real camera, and take the pictures elsewhere. But, I do recommend clicking on them to blow up them up, and see the detail work. Yes, it may look a bit old, but it also think it has a modern taste to it. So, first I'd like to start with, what is a peplum jacket?:

In my quest of learning all types of clothing, and trying to do research, I came across this in a magazine (Lucky), and really thought they were fun and pretty. Though it was different in the past, in modern fashion, it has become a small overskirt that falls from a cinched waist.

Oh, so, I realized, I never said what materials I was going to be using:
- Lavender and Black Brocade Floral Fabric
- 2 Clear Beige Buttons

I love the buttons.. My sister gave me a bag of random buttons, and I used two I found in there.. that happen to have "Gloria Vanderbilt" written on them.. Haa. It's a GV orig, clearly.

Guess how much this jacket cost me to make? A ridiculous amount! I would say, at most: $2.00, and I'm not even sure if it was that much. Once again, it's so hard to figure out how much time I spent on it, because I go back and forth between different things. It did take me quiet a while, but I spent a lot of my days finishing it. I would say it took.. Roughly.. 5-6 hours total? Keep in mind, measuring and pinning and thinking is time consuming.. Actual machine time is probably less than an hour of that. So, we'll.. price it at.. $35 (it is a jacket), that'll give me around $6.50/hr. Haa.. So broke.

I took my own spin on it, with this floral print. First, as usual, I cut out measurements for the top part of the jacket, pinned it inside out, and sewed the seams together. Once that was finished, I went right into sleeve. How I do my sleeves is, while inside out, I lift the bit of excess fabric over the shoulder where the main body of the dress is.. And pin it to the end of the inside out sleeve.. and sew around. [That's so confusing.. I'm terrible at describing.. I'd rather be demonstrating. Ooh, maybe I'll make a video sometime! Ha. That actually might be fun, if I speed up the time.. hm!] Anyway, so when that was done, I left the top completely open and hemmed in. I then measured out the bottom. I made it oversized so I could make the overskirt ruffled in the front, to give it more shape and volume opposing the cinched waist. Then, I thought buttons on the bottom would be a nice touch.. because I obviously loove buttons! And there's a jacket! I'm in love and don't care if no one else is.

A LOOK INTO THE FUTURE:

So, thinking forward, I'm INCREDIBLY excited for the new fabric I just ordered. It took me 3 days of thinking to get exactly what I wanted, but I'm very, very pumped for what's to come.

The problem is.. I won't be getting this fabric until probably Wednesday, and I don't think that leaves me enough time to complete something for the week.. so I'm going to be digging in my (now large) collection of excess fabric, and trying to think of something for Project #8.

Project #9 is definitely just in time for the season, but I don't want to give anything away. It also is going to be something for me.. And I cannot wait! I haven't bought myself clothes in such a long time, so it's going to be great to get something new, and also wear something that I made.

And I may have to postpone my challenge for Projects #10-15, because of the lack of responses.. AHEM, FRIENDS PLEASE! But also, I have a few things in mind that I want to make that are more pressing. So.. yes.

And don't worry.. I'm going to soon tackle a pant (though, I'm definitely pushing it off for a while).. But I will get the courage eventually! I'm just scared because my mannequin won't work for pants.. and how I create things is really mannequin-oriented.. So.. But.. I'll figure it out!

Anyway, off to thinking about Project #8 and enjoying life. Ooh, and this weekend, I may see my sister, so.. I may have pictures of some of my clothes on a human?