The Lesbian Lion

Project #30 Completed!

I guess this post is pretty cool for me because it's the first garment I have photographed, straight off the bat, that was created for me.

Overall, I'm happy with the construction.. I think it came out really well. I definitely plan on wearing this when the cold starts drifting in!

Here it is :

Considering how hot of a summer it has been in Philadelphia, it's really ironic that I was trying this on on the coldest day in a long time! But, I can tell that this thing will definitely keep me warm.

I kind of eyed out the three notches, so they are not perfect, but I think they're sufficient! I also didn't match up the fabric perfectly for each pattern piece, but I didn't feel it was necessary. Somehow, they lined up pretty nicely, and I think it came out just fine.

I love the buttons. The use of smaller and bigger buttons added to the overall look to me.. And I definitely think the buttoned up turtleneck is great. It can be buttoned or not, and still the jacket looks cool.

Project #30 Stats:
Supplies to make this dress : Gray and Red plaid fleece fabric, black thread, 3 large red/black buttons, 2 small red/black buttons
Total Cost to make this dress : ~$3.00
Total Time to make this dress : ~4 hours

A NOTE ON SEAMS:

Creating a garment the way you want it to fit is a struggle. Depending on how I want it to lie, I just try to find any constructive way to do that. This garment is a perfect example. The top of the jacket wasn't fitting properly, and I needed to create seams somewhere to make it work. So, I decided to create seams going diagonally from the side of the chest, to the neck and I really like the look of it. By adding a seam anywhere, you're adding to the overall look. I find these seams give it a more tailored finish, as well as a tougher look to make it a bit more masculine.

Since I'm going back to projects from the past, I think my next project will be one I've been wanting to create for a very long time and finally feel I may have the means to do it. We'll see!

Happy Friday the 13th!