The Lesbian Lion

Project #26 Completed!

I've done it! I'm halfway there! I slaved away at this one yesterday because I'm terribly behind. I think I should be at around 30 at this point.. But I'm catching up!

Anyway, I'm very excited to show this one.. It came out (for the most part) just how I wanted it to!

So what do you think? I really love it. I think the contrast between the black and the 80's ruffle pattern is very fun and I also feel this could be worn during the day and at night. I mean, I wouldn't wear it to the office, but you could wear it out on the town shopping on a weekend, no?

The only part that I didn't accomplish was the puffed sleeves. The top fabric was too heavy to make that happen, so it ended up falling flat. But it's okay.. I don't think the dress is killed without them.

Project #26 Stats :
Supplies to make this dress : Black lycra/rayon fabric, Multi color ruffle silk fabric, black thread Total Cost to make this dress : ~$4.00
Total Time to make this dress : ~3 hours

So, to continue, I'm adding to my blog a bit. I think it's lacking in content, so that's why I'm trying to incorporate my random sewing techniques, as well as, my designs and some stats.

Speaking of sleeves, I've been meaning to show you how I do them.. ever since my "sleevelation". Now, don't take it from me.. I don't do things the "proper" way.. I just make them up as I go. But, it works, so I do it!

Step one : Cut out an appropriate size piece to fit the hole.

Step two : Measure how big you need the connecting hole to be, and measure how big you need the open hole to be. Pin a pattern that will fit the arm.
(*Note : the connecting hole is larger than normal on this one, I tried to have it doubled and create the puff of the sleeve, but it didn't work out.)

Step three : Sew along the line you marked with pins, cut off the excess.

Step four : Have the sleeve inside out, and the shirt/dress inside out. Fold the connecting hole out, pin to the inside of the shirt hole (so that you're pinning the right-sides out together.)

Step five : Keep pinning until it is all the way around, sew that together, and get a sleeve!

Now, if you were to have someone where this often, and wash it, you would need to reinforce that seam with a stronger edge stitch, but for my purposes, I don't until I know someone will be wearing it!

Okay, feedback is always great! Let me know what you think of the design! Also, let me know if you like the new blog changes or if there's something else you'd like to see!