The Lesbian Lion

Project #9 Completed!

Well, I guess I can say I've finished my first "menswear" item.. Photographed on a petite woman's mannequin. Haha. Though I haven't slept in forever, I couldn't sleep until I finished this and put it up, because I've done well with sticking to the deadline!

I can't get a decent picture, and I feel like it looks better on a person, but this was the best I can do in my tired state. I like the design, but it's definitely not that great in the execution department.

It was difficult, and a lot of sewing went into this, AND I didn't know how to handle the swerve design. I still think I'm going to work with it a little before I debut it.

I don't really like the colors.. It's kind of teenage mutant ninja turtle.. I still wish it was beige, just because I think it would have looked a bit more classy but.. I'll rock the blue.. At least it's bright.. Bright is always good.

But yes.. I will most likely be wearing this out on the town. It fits decently, and I'll just have to make it work! I don't back down from a challenge, haha. Though, it makes me sad that one of the poorest executions will be seen.

I definitely have to better position the middle button, I think.. Hmm.

*So far, I decided to reject the elbow pads.. I thought it'd be too much blue. But I may add them later.*

I would say this cardigan cost me at most $2.00 in materials, and it probably took me.. Ehhh.. 5 hours to make? I really wasn't keeping good track.. I'd sell this at $25 (if properly executed). Less than $5/hour.. Perfect!

How did I go about this hott mess? Well first of all, it was difficult because this mannequin torso is much shorter than mine.. So I had to a little compensating. Anyway, I did the standard things for the front panels, back, and sleeves (a lot of pinning inside out, and pinning together the proper pieces, and sewing). What was left was all the blue fabric. I pinned the trimming along the front by taking two layers of fabric folded over in the front, and the extra fabric along the inside of the garment, and sewing it close to the edge. I basically did the same for bottom and sleeves, but just with larger pieces. I didn't want to add so much blue, but I had no choice because it was too short for me without the length. Then, buttons! I had an issue with my machine and the buttonhole sewing function, which sucked.. But I made it work, ghetto-ly.

So overall, a big fan of the design, not a big fan of the execution. Check it out in person if you see me next Saturday!

PS - Gloria Vanderbilt buttons again! Why did my sister have so many?? Love them!

Next project in the works.