The Lesbian Lion

Project #12: Printed and Pocketed Chic Button-Up Shirt

Finally getting back into a groove here.. It's Sunday, and I'm actually writing about my next project! Nice. I've been reading magazines lately (well, mostly looking at the pictures..) and I've noticed a big trend of mixing different prints on different items of clothing.. And I really like that. So, while I was obsessively looking for fabrics on my last order, I came across this elephant print that I was obsessed with. I put it in my cart and took it out of it a number of times, but in the end, I decided to just order it. The reason was mostly because the fabric was pretty expensive for me. But in the end, I thought that it would be fun to pair a nice loose elephant logo button-up with the blue floral skirt.

Now, I have a bit of a problem. When I ordered this print, I thought it was a cream color with green/gray elephants.. But when I recieved it.. It was definitely silver with black elephants.. And I'm pretty sure they screwed me. I could have returned it, but I'm just going to go with it and make it work. I doubt it'll match with the blue.. but we'll see how it goes when it's finished.

That long story aside, yes, I'm going with this elephant print and don't you stop me! It's definitely super trendy these days, so I thought I'd do a little magazine inspiration project.

The materials I'm using are:
- Elephant Print Chinese Silk/Brocade Fabric
- Buttons

Unsure on the buttons yet. I need to buy them still, so I'll probably go with small black or clean ones.. Or work blue into them to more fit the skirt. To me, subtle touches of color on a garment makes it match another piece of the same color in a certain way.. So, yeah, thinking about it now.. That's probably what I'll do.

It'll be a bit oversized, because.. Let's be honest.. It's silk and a girl could totally walk into a bedroom with an oversized button-up and be hott! Or she can pair it with a high waisted skirt.. Like I want to do!

This will give me practice on using a new fabric, silk.. As well as practice with adding a decent folded collar to an item of clothes. Oh, and let's not forget pockets! But I'm sure you'll hear allll about them when I post the finished project.

See the results Saturday or sooner!

A LOOK INTO THE PAST:

So, I did another fitting with my sister.. She got to try on Project #8, or the Slimming Sweater.. She really loved that, fit great, and I think it was effective in its slimming mission. I think she'd wear that one out if the opportunity presents itself. She also got to try on Project #11, or the Flannel Dress.. Not such a great fit.. A little small on the bust, and didn't do for her what I wanted it to.. A more leggy girl, it might work on. It was also a bit short.. Eep!

She also won't allow me to take pictures because she's "fat." Not true at all, but she promises by May/June (I know.. far) I can start taking pictures because she has to get super skinny for her wedding in September. So.. Hopefully you can see these better looks on people?

Also, having a fitting with Erica tomorrow. I don't have high hopes.. It has kind of become a mess. I fear it's going to be way too small, but we'll see how that goes!