The Lesbian Lion

From Biology to Fashion

Welcome to my blog, my name is Anthony.
I never really had a desire to begin a blog. First off, I didn't think anyone would read it. Secondly, I would be embarrassed to confess that I actually have one. And finally, I just didn't feel like I would have anything interesting to say that would keep it going. But somehow, I've found myself at a keyboard and typing this little entry that may only be read by myself with a project in mind that I want to chronicle. And I'm fine with that.

For people that may be bored enough to read this little thing, let's start out by saying, I'm a senior college student about to receive a Bachelor's Degree in biology and psychology in May. This should be a time where I feel like I'm finally growing up, hopefully finding a solid job, and starting a real life. But this is definitely not the truth. Don't get me wrong, my studies have fascinated me and I appreciate all of what I've learned in the four years I've attended my university, but I hardly have retained a thing. With this lack of passion, I can't move forward in these fields.

I entered college as a pre-med student, poised to become a doctor. After praise from all of the elders I knew, and being the "smart" person I was, it seemed attainable. Quickly, I realized that would never be a dream that I would want to have. Doubt entered my mind early on in my 2nd year of college when I wanted to go for a more passionate, but much less practical dream. Alas, though, I continued on in my major and found a love for genetics (which I will always enjoy), and had my heart set on moving to California and entering a genetic counseling program.

This summer, however, I finally decided that I would not be attending a master's program in any science field. I, instead, would be applying to something much further than that. I would be applying to a Bachelor's in Fashion Design.

I, one who firmly believes in following your dreams in the one life you have, believed that I should go for it. Why should I be subjected to a life in a dull room, telling people that they should abort their children because they have Down's Syndrome?

So, I researched all of my options and found that I would apply to Philadelphia University, because it would be the least expensive route, and still allow me to have a full time job, and finish within four years. It also had the appeal that I didn't have to submit a portfolio, which made me extremely excited being that I've never taken a drawing class in my life.

Well, turned out, I read wrong, and a portfolio of 12 items needed to be submitted. Damn. Well, somehow, I got through that endeavor, and mid-October, I was accepted into the program for Fall 2010.

Beyond the incredible excitement I felt for actually being accepted somewhere (even if it wasn't a prestigious fashion academy), I saved up all of my money to buy the essentials.

This basically leads me to where I'm at now. I bought a Singer 7463 machine, a petite Twinfit dressform, and many other gadgets I thought were important. That was all fine and great, but there's one little problem: I have never sewed in my life. (Besides a pillow in elementary school and a tiny coat disaster I tried in December.) Now, you have to understand my fears. I'm going into the world of fashion where young people have probably been sewing their entire lives, learning from grandparents and parents, and making garments for friends since intermediate school. I'm thrusting myself from a solid degree in the sciences to an uneasy, competitive world of fashion with nothing but ideas and dreams running in my head.

This leads me to my project for the New Year. I'm going to make 52 pieces of clothing in 2010. With nothing but my Sewing for Dummies book in hand and watching shows like Project Runway, I plan on somehow getting through this. I'm hoping this blog is going to help me get through my fears and even allow me to access help from readers out there.

I'll keep this updated with stories of my ventures in all things fashion. Project starts now! I don't have time to proofread this entry, so I hope it's not disastrous. Wish me luck!

*I was thinking of posting pictures of my drawn design before I create it, and then the finished fabric design, but we'll see what comes of it.*