The Lesbian Lion

Pretty & Practical: Peplums for Date Night

Pretty & Practical: Peplums for Date Night. It's date night with my boyfriend--a very, very belated birthday celebration for him! We're going out for a great night out and a delicious dinner. The only question left is what to wear? Initially I planned to wear the snug LBD you may remember from last year's post: LBD but then decided I wanted to eat. I love my little black dress and how it hugs my curves perfectly but I can't deny its lack of camouflage when it comes to the after-dinner belly-bulge. SO instead of going the salad route I opted for this fabulous white number that just so happens to be the best dinner date dress EVER. Not only does it make my curves killer (how modest of me to say, right?) but it completely defeats the dreaded belly bulge by floating right over that little trouble area. With my sneaky & sassy dress it looks like I'll even be having dessert too!

How to Pick Your Peplum:

Peplum styles are one of those things that have to fit perfectly in order to have their slimming magic. Make sure the peplum begins right at the thinnest part of you--your waist--and gently poofs out from there, covering your tummy! If you're going with a peplum top instead of a dress, make sure whatever piece is underneath it is fitted and sleek (i.e. a pencil skirt or a great pair of skinny jeans) to keep the outfit from looking sloppy.

Accessorize in a Flash:


A peplum pretty much speaks for itself but a few accessories never hurt anyone! Metallic shoes are a great choice for the summer and a darker metal-tone like these can even you through the fall. If your top/dress is cut lower like this one, then a statement necklace is your go-to. If the cut is higher (boatneck, crew, etc.) then earrings are the way to go. Either way, pick a statement piece that doesn't overpower or clash with the rest of your look. For neutral tones like my dress, a metal statement necklace like this silver one looks super chic, but if you're feeling a little adventurous, take your look up a notch with a pop of color! Shoes and just a fab piece of jewelry, how's that for easy styling?

Dress: Charlotte Russe, Shoes: Aerosoles, Necklace: Forever 21

For future date-night ideas and more follow The Urban Lioness on Bloglovin or subscribe to our newsletter (located to the right in the sidebar)!