The Lesbian Lion

#PFW - March 1st Review

I’m caught up, yay! These shows are killing me! Paris speaks so heavily to my interests and identity as a designer; they're all so great. What a week it’s going to be! If this is Paris’ bid for being the ultimate Fashion Capital of the World, it’s working!

Balmain:

Balmain’s collection is utterly interesting! It has a heavy architectural influence, and there is a big feel of cathedral references throughout. The lines are stunning and the clothes are so intricate. The clothes are a strong mix of bold confidence and delicate beauties. The beadwork is so insanely fun and pretty! There are solids mixed with prints. Some commercial pieces mixed with signature, luxurious designs. I think it all flows beautifully. The embroidery and beadwork reminds me of old Victorian design. (I love that Anna Wintour is in the corner of all of these pictures, diva!) Elegant, bead and embroidery stunners!

Barbara Bui:

Bui’s collection is so soft and delicate with a menswear/equestrian influence, and it’s super cute! It’s super commercial, and has an old-world feel for the strong modern woman. The colors are very muted 70s influenced for the fall, and that’s always appropriate! Prints, solids, sheers, wools; I just love all of the feels of this collection. I feel it progresses from equestrian to jungle to safari, showing the natural influences and the adventurous and travel-loving nature of the customer. There’s something for all environments. Delicate strength!

Carven:

I don’t even know where to begin with Carven! It was one of my most anticipated shows, and it was so beyond what I expected! First off, mustard makes me melt! Bold prints and bright colors mixed with darker shades are a palate I love to see; it’s going to be huge this fall! There are some commercial silhouettes mixed with so much interest. I love the amount of separates; there are so many different ways to wear all of these garments! There’s such pretty dresses mixed with bulky separates, there is something for every type of girl! Knits, cut outs, prints, solids, clashing patterns; what doesn’t this collection have?? Commercially versatile, fun, and cute with runway appeal!

Honorable Mentions:

A.F. Vandevorst – Warm, interesting, gray, menswear inspired. A true show! (I love faceless models!)

Balenciaga – Blocking, metallic, leathers, prints; more commercial than I’ve seen before.

Nina Ricci – Reds, purples, blacks, and whites; beautiful textiles and stunning clothes!

[All images courtesy of FASHIONISING]