The Lesbian Lion

#NYFW - February 13th Review

My favorite shows yesterday were all for a more daring girl! Some drama, some statement pieces, and all of them bold!

Alice + Olivia:

I thought this collection was commercial gold! They had fun textiles; cozy knits, structured dresses, interesting stripes and blocking techniques, etc. It's mostly a neutral palate with pops of color (yellows, reds, blues, greens). This is perfect for the glamorous, daring girl on the go! These pieces are insanely sellable allowing the customer to be bold enough to stand out but still look fashionably pretty!

Betsey Johnson:

Just as expected, it’s very fun! I feel it’s more polished than I’ve seen her in past seasons, but still maintains her playful nature. Love the vertical stripe stockings and pants! Some very cozy pieces, as well as glamorous ones; you can tell this is the same woman at several different points of her day. Black and whites mixed with reds, pinks, yellows, oranges, and blues. Fun!

Thom Browne:

The drama I’ve been craving! I feel, so far, everything has been so commercial and beautiful, with little twists here and there, but no major risks. Browne is risking it all, and I think it paid off! It’s super quirky and super interesting. Was he inspired by dinosaurs?? Mostly neutral palate. Great mix of knitted prints (some almost scaly) and fun silhouettes (some almost reptilian) that don’t take themselves too seriously. I don’t necessarily like all of the pieces, but it’s undeniably fun drama. I also value that he tried new silhouettes and strayed from the standard. Some of the structured pieces were gorgeous, as well; such elegance in some pieces.

[ Marc Jacobs also brought the drama, but it didn't rub me quite the same way.]

Honorable Mentions:

3.1 Phillip Lim – Structurally beautiful, put together woman; mostly monochromatic with little pops of color

Carolina Herrera – Silhouette variety with classic design elements, worth a look

Carlos Miele – Mexican flair for the modern fashionista is what I got from it; beautiful patterns and colors

#NYFW Trends – Leather, Fur, Bold Knits, Colorful Patterns, Deep Reds and Yellows

[All images courtesy of STYLE.COM]