The Lesbian Lion

Projects #28 & #29 Completed!

*Before I start, I am completely unsure on how I feel about these two garments!*

A NOTE ON ORGANIZATION:

I wanted to first write about organization of projects. I was wondering if other people are quite organized when starting a project, or just cut and sew as they go. I'm assuming, most people figure out their pattern pieces, cut them out accordingly, then start sewing. Before this project, I used to just cut pieces as I went - cut a few pieces, sew them together, cut some more, sew, etc, you get the idea.

From that picture, you can see, I actually organized my fabric, figured out all of the pieces I needed, made sure they measured out, and arranged them with assigned numbers. Normally, I like just going at it, but I found this method much more practical, and allowed me to sew constantly, without interruption. So, though I'm a bit of a mess.. I think I'll try this more practical approach more often!

Now to the projects!

Project #28 : Mini Poncho Dress



Now.. this was completely unintentional, but I think these designs are a mixture of Little Red Riding Hood meets a Pilgrim costume? I totally didn't think about this while I was designing.. But once I saw the final products, I was a little weary about them.

I don't know if I think they're interesting and kind of cool, or just a bit of a mess.

Either way, I think they are both a testament that I'm getting better at sewing. I will give them that, they are both pretty well sewn!

And autumn was the theme with these.. And they certainly remind me of the season! Haha.

Project #28 Stats:
Supplies to make this dress : Brown Linen Blend fabric, Fleece plaid fabric, red thread, brown invisible zipper
Total Cost to make this dress : ~$4.00
Total Time to make this dress : ~3-4 hours

A NOTE ON ZIPPERS:

So after projects and projects of only semi-well installed zippers, it finally all came together for me! I don't know how, really.. But as I was pinning things together.. I realized if I pinned them a certain way, it would only be a seam.. Like in normally produced clothes.

See, I don't like to really read up on sewing.. I think it's more fun for me to try and figure it out on my own. So, when these things happen, it's kind of a big deal for me.. One, because my clothes end up looking better, and two, because I taught myself!

I'm going to give a brief invisible zipper tutorial, on how I'm going to do it from now on.

Step one : Pin the outside of the fabric to the outside of the zipper.

Step two : If sewing the left side of the zipper, have the zipper foot locked in on the left side. (It locks in two ways.) The side of the zipper foot should be on top of the zipper, and the piece of metal on the zipper foot that faces toward you should be gliding along the size of the zipper as you sew. (Probably confusing?) Sew all the way down.

Step three : Fold in the one side, and repeat for the other side. (You can pin them both at the same time, so you can install it without interruption.)

Step four : Have an invisible zipper installed that just looks like a seam!

Project #29 : Mini Poncho Jacket

So, to be a clear, a poncho is just an extra layer of fabric designed to keep you warmer.. And I think it would definitely do that from this design. I think adding a turtleneck to this jacket would be really cool.

This mini-poncho idea almost looks like armor on this design.

You know what, after discussing all of these things, they're really starting to grow on me.. I think I'll say I officially like them!

Project #29 Stats:
Supplies to make this dress : Brown Linen Blend fabric, Fleece plaid fabric, red thread, reddish buttons
Total Cost to make this dress : ~$3.00
Total Time to make this dress : ~4 hours

A NOTE ON SELF CRITICISM:

I doubt it's possible to love everything you're going to make. Some things work, and some things don't. Some people may like these, some people might don't.. Or maybe they'll be in between, like me!

I think it is important to step back from the idea that you created it, and look at your work as if someone else had made it. This change of perception may lead you to gain a better understanding of criticism and by being your biggest critic, you learn from your mistakes, grow your taste level, and figure out what works for you!

To give you a taste for the next design, it's another fall item.. And I'm going back to menswear!

*I started working this week. I'm wondering how that might affect my projects. I'm going to try to not let it be a factor at all, and keep cranking them out because I know once school starts, it will be that much harder!*